They Are Finally Back !
RotoR is an instrumental quatuor from Berlin, and Fünf is -guess what- their fifth album to date, the last one (that was called… 4) being released in 2010. They are not the most prolific band around, with 5 albums in 17 years, but the quality is always amazing.
How is the sound ?
Sorry the album isn’t streaming anywhere in full… you’ll have to buy the vinyl 😉
This last album is different from the others in that the distinct “RotoR sound” is not present all the time, with tracks like “Fette Kette” going very clearly in the traditional stoner direction and less heavy psych.
Overall, this feels much heavier than the previous albums.
They had a tendency to alternate very, and I mean VERY well between heavy riffs and more pysch parts, but this time it feels less different than what other bands may be doing. Trust me, on any of the 4 first albums, I’ll recognize RotoR in less than 5 seconds. On this album, I’m not that sure, except maybe on “Oktagon” and “Herrengedeck“.
That said, it’s really one of the most talented European Heavy Stoner act: side A is heavy riffing Stoner, and side B is more classic RotoR. I like the second part of the album much better than the first, but I think that’s my personal taste showing there and not the overall quality.
The album ends on “Weltall Erde Rotor“, a track that would fool me if it was on a Colour Haze album (I had to double check when I first heard it).
Why is this album worth listening ?
- To get into RotoR if you come from the heavier side of the genre
- This is the closest band sound-wise to Colour Haze to my ears
- The side B is brilliant, they managed to keep the magic even without their distinct sound
Something particular to note ?
- This album is not on Elektrohasch like the prevous ones, but you can get the vinyl on Nois-O-Lution.
- They are *VERY* hard to see live (unless you live in Germany), so if they come to a place near you, don’t hesitate 🙂
Weltall Erde Rotor, Oktagon
For Fans Of
Colour Haze, Sungrazer, The Machine
If you don't know what those "Levels" mean, please visit this page.